Tips that Help to Ground You
You know that feeling when you are experiencing anxiety and you feel like you are losing control of yourself in your surroundings?? If you’ve been to my page on what happens in the body during anxiety – see The Anxiety Cycle – then you will know that our bodies and minds react with fear from the old part of our brain. The following tips are designed to get you back in control by triggering the logical thinking part of your brain rather than the part that produces fear. So look around you and find;
- 5 things you can see – name the colours (silently in your head or out loud)
- 4 things you can touch – describe how they feel to yourself
- 3 things you can hear – describe these sounds to yourself
- 2 things you can smell – describe the smells to yourself
- 1 thing you can taste – describe the taste to yourself
Try to really focus your mind on these things to trigger your thinking brain – This will help to ground you and start feeling okay again. Practice this regularly at home and when you are out and about so you become good at doing it easily and on demand.